Friday, April 30, 2010

Selective Memory


No longer welcome where once I watched, I sat on the corner of the pond up near my home. It was still quite dark & the bare, street light, once hidden in a tangle of trumpet-flower vines, glared overhead. I peered into the darkness across the shore, but the bench could not be seen. My best images of it are in my heart, but it is vaguely seen to the right of the swing in this shot.
Alone this morning, I could have easily slipped over undetected. I chose to stay where I was & lose myself in happy memories. For many years, & across all seasons, I sat on the bench praising, praying, visiting & of course, fishing with my son. It was a favorite place for me to watch God paint the morning sky, His colors mirrored on the water. My final memory there was shared, morning laughter over warm, blueberry muffins & coffee. What fondness this memory brought to me as my heart returned to those times!...It briefly crossed my mind that I had been chased away so much, this could not have possibly been my last time there...I chose -quite purposefully- however, to rewrite history & leave my final moment there, with a beloved friend...
How poignant & ironic that upon my return from work this evening the familiar railroad-ties were gone. How amazing that the Lord should draw me over for the last sunrise the bench would see.

No comments:

Post a Comment