Friday, July 3, 2009

Not of This World


I recently wrote on how someone can become so "drunk with anger" that they lose their self-control. That involved a short burst which resulted in a lost turtle. God was gracious to answer the prayers of a young boy & his mother. More often, we have to wait a lifetime to see the results. Self-control will also crumble in the face of pride, arrogance, selfishness, & so on. Why?

Peter writes: "Be sober, be watchful; because your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brothers in the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, establish, & strengthen you." (I Peter 5:8-10)


Bitterness, resentment, envy, power-struggles, etc. are tools he uses to keep us from our Father & Savior. When people are quick to go on the offensive with me, rather than talking like adults, it is hard not to blast right back. To maintain my cool, I think of something they have apparently not. A still, small voice whispers, "I don't think you know who you are dealing with here! I am a child of God and heir to His Kingdom!!" (Romans 8: 15-17) I have to remind myself that it is not people that I wrestle with, but "...against the authorities, against the powers, against the rulers of darkness in this present age." (Ephesians 6:12) When I focus on this, I so clearly see how such people who cling to power & control are actually being used~ & I empathize. It is then I can pray for them. " I beseech you," writes Paul," to have a walk worthy of the calling for which you were called, with all humility & gentleness, with long-suffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in a bond of peace." (Eph 4:1-3)

I am reminded of something our pastor said recently: "When you stand before Jesus what treasures will you lay at His feet ?" Things in this world seem so long...Tomorrow will mark 21 years since a beloved friend stood before Jesus. It was abrupt & agonizing for us...suddenly, it is 21 years later. Our time here really is more fleeting than it seems. "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us." (Rom. 8:18).


**NOTE: Romans, chapter 8 is so inspiring & hope-filled. I really hope you will find some quiet time & read it through. So many people believe that God casts people into hell. This chapter reminds how much He does to bring us TO Him!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment