Sunday, October 25, 2009

Autumn Mist


Leaving for home on Friday, I started my van, then paused...the sky was overcast and the evening light was a great setting for the near-fluorescent maples that were bursting with joyful praise. One of my favorite songs, "Drowned" by Chasen, was playing on the radio. I cranked it up, grabbed my camera & headed across the parking lot on foot. I shot a hundred or so images in the fading light, before heading home. It was awesome !
The autumn color is just truly, coming in & I stopped 2 more times on the 3 1/2 mile ride home. As I approached my turn into the neighborhood, the lake view stopped me. I pulled onto the side of the bridge. Keeping an eye in the rear-view mirror, I slowly coasted back towards the middle of the span. Heels or not, I waited for a break in traffic, grabbed the Olympus & ran across towards the dam. As I shot, cars & even trucks traveling over 50 m.p.h. rumbled & shook the pavement beneath me. It was absolutely exhilarating ! The middle school & maple shots took their toll. I captured very few images before my batteries gave out. For some reason, traffic was picking up & I felt a little too vulnerable to stay for replacement batteries in the rapidly fading light. The river view behind me also had a beautiful mist rising amongst yellow foliage. It was awesome, inspiring, scary-in-a-good-way & uplifting !!!! but, in all honesty...the real reason I stopped, was to share this with you.


[To get your bearings, my home is to the far right out of these shots. The landing & little cove where I typically "watch" are to the right as well. The second shot shows the far tip of Beaver Point & this is the view up river of the lake.]

No comments:

Post a Comment