Saturday, August 29, 2009

Between 2 Worlds


I love what I do with my days! Others would call it, "work" or their "job". For me it is what I have chosen to fill my days with. In college, I bounced between a lot of majors, but ultimately returned to my first goal: to teach middle school art. I love art & I love kids...it's a no-brainer. I have a blast watching them grow as artists. I love bringing them new media & techniques through which they can express themselves. I am uplifted by constant wonderment in what they will do & who they will become...When the last bus is gone, I still find it difficult to leave. There is a reflective anticipation in the room. Planning & preparing for what I will bring them next can be remarkably exhilarating.
I have been teaching & discovering middle school artists for nearly 10 years. I have always wrestled with finding a balance between "my 2 lives". Several times this week, I found myself climbing into my van, arms laden with school work only to find it was well past suppertime. Returning home I wondered how I had missed another day with my family...You see, I love both of my worlds: school & home. My National Board mentor modeled for me how to bring continuity to my life by including the kids in my home life. After 8 days back in the classroom, I am already fully entwined in the life I have chosen...& this wrestling. My inspiration & excitement is revived!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish I could have you as a teacher as well as a friend! Your excitement is contagious!
    (((hug))) Daryl

    ReplyDelete