Thursday, June 18, 2009

Suffering With Christ


When things are going well, it is easy to say, "I count it all joy....to suffer....with my Savior..."... much easier, than actually going through the motions. Last night I asked for your prayers. This morning, the daily Proverb that came up on the right (11:3) begins, "The integrity of the upright guides them..." I found that meaningful, poignant, and affirming. When we are in the midst of trials and suffering, it is difficult to see what God has planned. At times like this, my husband will say, "I know that I will come out better on the other side, but all I can see is the grinder I am about to go through".


A few years back, my young grand-daughter underwent treatments for a very invasive cancer. To put it lightly, it was terrifying. Thankfully, she remains free of the insidious disease. Now, we have a glimpse of the other side of this. The experience called her mom to go into nursing. It is her desire to nurse children with cancer, and their families. It is impossible to say how many countless lives Shannon will touch.


We cannot yet know what beauty and power is on the other side of our suffering. This is where the faith comes in. Isaiah 43:2, tells us, "When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire you shall not be burned."


At these times, we must cling to God's promises. The more we rely on, and have faith in God, the more we see His promises fulfilled. Faith does becomes second-nature for us.


"For I know the thoughts I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil; to give you a purpose and a hope." (Jer. 29:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment