Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Testing of Faith


There have been times in my life where I have felt like a target, attacked from every angle. Things that were going great one day feel utterly in ruins the next. Ways of life I have enjoyed seem to suddenly dissolve. People I have always counted on, temporarily fade away into their own concerns.I find myself inwardly asking, "Why am I being targeted?"


Immediately, the answer settles over my entire spirit: it is because I have asked Jesus to be Lord of my life, to guide my steps and direct my paths. I have asked for His help and that makes me a target.


In his letter to the Romans, Paul wrote, "...we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now, hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us...God demonstrates His own love toward us, that while we were yet sinners [imperfect], Christ died for us." (Romans 5:3b-5&8)


James wrote, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience (endurance). Let patience have it's perfect work that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." (James 1:2-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment